International Residency FAQ

Read below for answers to common questions about MBA 570 Global Environment of Business/International Residency.

  • Am I required to take MBA 570 (the International Residency)?

    Yes. All MBA students are required to take MBA 570 Global Environment of Business/International Residency.

  • Where will the International Residency trips take place,?

    International Residency locations are announced each fall in late September or early October. MBA 570 is offered twice each academic year — once in the spring semester and once in the summer session. The residency period for the spring semester class is during spring break. The residency period for the summer session class is usually in late May/early June. An email announcing class details and residency locations is sent out each year to all MBA students from Dr. Thomas J. Cossé, Associate Dean for International Programs in the Robins School.

  • How do I sign up for the international residency?

    Students who have completed the prerequisites for MBA 570 Global Environment of Business/International Residency respond via email to the residency announcement email sent out by Dr. Cossé, indicating if they are interested in enrolling in one of the two classes.

  • What are the prerequisites for the International Residency class?

    The prerequisites for MBA 570 Global Environment of Business/International Residency are MBA 506 Economics for Managers, MBA 510 Financial Management, and MBA 520 Marketing Management.

  • How do I register for the International Residency class?

    Because MBA 570 requires departmental approval, the MBA program coordinator registers students for the class.

  • Typically, how long does the residency segment of each class last?

    Residency trips are typically seven to 14 days. The time out of country is dependent upon which Residency for which you sign up, and the country visited.

  • Besides the trip, what additional time commitment is there for this class?

    You will be required to attend five to six 3‐hour classes prior to leaving the country and at least two 3‐hour classes following the out‐of‐country portion of the class. Additionally, student teams will conduct extensive research outside of class to meet the objectives of their International Consultancy Project (ICP) client firms and they must prepare and submit a detailed written report and presentation for their project.

  • What is the International Consultancy Project?

    The International Consultancy Project (ICP) is the focal point of the course. Students are divided into teams and work with an actual company on an international business issue. For more information about the ICP visit the Robins School of Business International Residency page.

  • What does tuition for the class include?

    Hotel accommodations, breakfast, select lunches and dinners, program related activities in‐country, and transportation for such activities and the cost of supplemental healthcare and repatriation insurance are included in the standard MBA three semester hour course tuition.

  • What are examples of additional expenses I will incur for the class?

    You will be responsible for the cost of your textbooks, passport, visa if required, airline transportation, round trip ground transportation from the airport, meals not covered, incidentals, non-class related activities, and any vaccinations/medicines required to visit the destination country.

  • Will I need a visa?

    Visa requirements vary by country, by the nature of/reason for the visit, the length of the visit and your citizenship. The US State Department website details visa requirements for US citizens by country. Check the Entry/Exit Requirements section in the State Department’s Country Specific Information website.

    If you are not a US citizen you must check with the embassy of the destination country. For information on foreign embassies located in the US you can check a site such as or simply do a Google search.

  • What about vaccinations? How do I know if I need any vaccinations or immunoprophylaxis?

    Consult the Center for Disease Control website and a travel clinic. You should discuss your medical needs with your physician.

  • Am I allowed to bring friends and/or family members with me on the trip?

    No. The International Residency is for registered students only. Friends and family members are not permitted during the residency period.

  • Will I be able to extend my trip beyond the residency dates if I want to spend more time exploring the country where the residency takes place?

    Some students opt to schedule time beyond the residency dates in the country visited. This is a personal decision and is not coordinated through the MBA office. Note that MBA 570 does not meet during the week following the return from a residency trip. It is difficult to schedule additional time out of the country prior to departure for the residency as classes sometimes meet up until a couple of days before the required date to arrive in the residency country. Students should refer to pre‐ and post‐residency class schedules prior to making arrangements for extended stays.

  • What if I don’t have a passport?

    Students who indicate they wish to enroll in MBA 570 are required to submit a copy of a valid passport to the International Programs Office in the Robins School. The passport must be valid for at least six months after the scheduled return from the destination country. Students who are US citizens should visit the U.S. Department of State website for information on obtaining, renewing or making changes to their passport.

  • How do I obtain a visa?

    Procedures for obtaining visas vary per country. If a visa is required for a residency location, the International Programs Office in the Robins School will provide information regarding visa procedures to the class once the class roster has been confirmed.

  • Does the class travel as a group to the residency location?

    No. Students are told the date, place and time to meet in the host country. Students are responsible for making and paying for their own travel arrangements to/from the residency destination. Students may travel as a group if they so desire, but it is not required. The International Programs Office or MBA Office does not assist in making travel arrangements.

  • Should trip insurance be purchased?

    This is a personal decision. However, trip insurance does afford some protection in the case of illness or if situations occur in the host country. Should you decide to purchase travel insurance make certain that you know what is covered.